Slidell Criminal Defense Lawyer, Slidell Divorce Lawyer, Traffic & Injury Attorney

Slidell, Louisiana court system is divided between City of Slidell Court and St. Tammany Parish Courthouse the 22nd Judicial District in Covington, Louisiana.

City of Slidell Court handles Misdemeanor Criminal Cases, Traffic Tickets, DWI , Small Claims and Evictions.

While Felonies, Divorces, Child Custody, Successions, and Personal Injury claims are handled in Covington.

Divorce In Slidell



 Slidell Smalls Claims Court

City Court of Slidell’s Small Claims Court is an inexpensive and speedy way to resolve most civil disputes that do not exceed $5,000. It is an informal proceeding and parties are encouraged to represent themselves.

  • All cases are heard by either a Judge or Arbitrator, who then makes a decision.
  • The decision is final and binding on both parties. There is no right to a jury trial or an appeal in Small Claims cases.
  • Formal Rules of procedure and evidence do not apply. Procedures in Small Claims cases are intended to be simple enough for a person to file all the necessary forms and represent himself/herself at an informal hearing.
  • Small Claims Court is designed with procedures that assure a speedy and inexpensive resolution of a dispute between individuals who are not schooled in the law. Because the Formal Rules of procedure and evidence do not apply, depositions and other types of discovery, such as “interrogatories” or requests for documents, are NOT allowed.

The following types of cases are NOT handled in Small Claims Court

– summary proceedings
– executory proceedings
– class actions lawsuits
– injunctions
– restraining orders


  • In order to have a case heard in the City Court of Slidell, the person you are suing must live or operate a business within our Court’s jurisdiction: Wards 8 and 9. These wards cover most of East St. Tammany Parish.

Filing in Small Claims Court

  • You must file the properly submitted complaint in person at the Courthouse
  • When your complaint is filed, you must pay your filing fees, which are determined by the method in which you have the complaint served on the defendant(s).  Please see below for filing fees.  Note:  Small Claims filing fees are Non-Refundable.

Filing Fees

Filing fees are determined by the method in which the defendant(s) is served.

Standard service is by certified mail.
Fees are:

  • One defendant: $67.50
  • Two defendants: $122.50
  • For each additional defendant, add: $55.00

Or, you may choose an optional service method, which is determined based on the address of the person being served, as follows:

Optional service for addresses within the 8th & 9th Wards of east St. Tammany Parish is done by the Slidell Marshal’s Office.Fees are:

  • One defendant: $82.50 *
  • Two defendants: $152.50 *
  • For each additional defendant, add: $70.00 *

* A separate Money Order must be made payable to Slidell City Marshal for their services.

Optional service for addresses outside the 8th & 9th Wards of east St. Tammany Parish is done by the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Department.Fees are:

  • One defendant: $112.50
  • Two defendants: $212.50
  • For each additional defendant, add: $100.00


Slidell Evictions

City Court of Slidell’s Evictions proceedings are designed to help landlords with property in Wards 8 and 9 (East St. Tammany Parish) resolve disputes with tenants.Evictions hearings are held every Thursday.

As of August 15, 2010 you can file any residential eviction lawsuit at this Court, regardless of the amount of rent you charge your tenants.  Also under the new law, the limit on commerical evictions pursued through this Court has risen to $5,000 per month.

The filing fee for an eviction is: $78.50

  • This fee includes the City Court of Slidell cost of $38.50, plus the Slidell City Marshal’s service fee of $40.
  • You may pay by cash, certified funds or a business check.
  • NO personal checks will be accepted.
    • NOTE: When paying by certified funds or by business check, separate payments must be made payable to City Court of Slidell and to Slidell City Marshal.

The Slidell City Marshal fee covers serving your tenant with a copy of the eviction suit one time. It also covers a forced eviction of your tenant, if necessary.


Evictions Procedures Guidelines

To evict a tenant because of the termination of the lease by expiration of its terms, nonpayment of rent or for any other reason, please first review your lease agreement.

  • If your written lease agreement includes a waiver of the statutory five-day notice to vacate, then you may go directly to the Slidell City Marshal’s office to file for eviction.
  • If your lease agreement does NOT include this five-day waiver, then you must do the following BEFORE coming to the Slidell City Marshal’s office to file for eviction:
    • Write a letter to the tenant giving him a five-day notice to move and state the reason you want him to move. We have included a Notice to Vacate form as a guide for your convenience. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself.

The procedure for an eviction suit is:

  • Provide the City Marshal with a copy of the letter you gave the tenant. Give the Marshal the correct name and address for the tenant.
  • If the letter was mailed to the tenant, you must also give the Marshal the green return receipt card from the Post Office.
  • If you had any written rental agreement of lease with the tenant, also give the Marshal a copy.
  • You must pay a filing fee of $78.00 (which includes Court costs) at the time you file the eviction suit. The Court costs will not be refunded once the eviction suit is filed.
  • The Marshal will provide a copy of the petition along with the assigned Court date to the plaintiff at time of filing. The petition, which orders the defendant to appear in Court if he or she wishes to contest the suit, will be served to the defendant or posted on the premises no later than three days prior to the assigned Court date.
  • On the date of the hearing, you must appear before the Judge and testify about your agreement with the tenant and explain why you want the tenant evicted.
  • If you hand delivered the letter of the eviction to the tenant or posted it on the door of the residence, you must also bring with you a witness who can swear that he saw you hand deliver the letter or post it on the door.
  • If the tenant fails to answer or appear at the hearing and the Judge decides that you are entitled to the eviction, he will immediately sign a Judgment of Eviction.
  • If the tenant has not moved out within 24 hours after the court hearing, YOU MUST NOTIFY THE MARSHAL’S OFFICE and request a Warrant of Eviction.
  • The Clerk will then issue a warrant to the Marshal and the Marshal will do whatever is necessary to remove the tenant from the premises. The Landlord MUST provide labor to remove property. The Marshal’s office will not provide any labor to move personal property of tenant.

Contact the Weiser Law Firm today at 504-358-CARE (2273) to discus the lower back pain you have from an injury.

Contact Us